Saturday, March 28, 2009

How to Navigate Moscow/Russia

So if you are ever in Moscow, and have to go in a certain direction (N, S, E, W), use the churches to navigate! Their alters always face east. You can also tell the difference between North and South because the Russian Orthodox cross has 3 cross pieces, rather than just one. The bottom one is slanted, since when Christ was crusified, he was crusified with 2 other men. One went to heaven, the other to hell. The slanted cross at the bottom shows this, the one pointing up for the man who went to heaven, the other side for the man who went to hell. What does this haave to do with navigation and telling the difference between North and South? When you look at the cross on the top of the church, the upside of the cross always faces North, therefore the other side faces south. So there you go, you can figured out NSEW by the churches in Russia, and therefore always be able to orient yourself to which direction you need to go.

This must be the explorer in me/ boy scout in me/ sailor in me, that I always need to know how to navigate wherever I am. I'm sure the rest of the world doesn't care so much, but hey, I think its important!

No comments:

Post a Comment