Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yugoslavia and Russia?

For those of you who do not know, I lived in Croatia for a year as a Rotary Youth Exchange Student for the year between high school and college. For the record, it was the best thing I could have done, and probably one of the best to date. Now, while I was there, I took a keen interest in Croatian history and talked with many locals (especially my 2 host fathers) about the 1991-95 conflict there. Obviously, I am a little biased towards the Croatian side of the conflict, although I am fully aware of issues with both sides (aka- War Crimes). In this last week, I have been given a number of articles from US magazines form the early 90's. The purpose of them was to learn about the end of Gorbachev's political career in the USSR, and Yeltsin's rise to power. As an added bonus, on some of the articles, there are bits about the 1991-95 Yugoslavia break up, and some even refrence the two conflicts. Here is some brief background on the 1991-95 conflict, and I apoligise in advance, as I may not remember everything correctly. If you want to make sure I am correct, look it up yourself!

Yugoslavia breakup: Yugoslavia was under the cult of personality rule of Tito. He ruled Yugoslavia with an iron fist, as was common in Communist countries at the time. However, Tito was not that well connected with the Kremlin, so he allowed Yugoslavia to be quite liberal (as Communist Countries go), by doing things like allowing tourists to come to Croatia for the beaches and sun. Interesting, eh? The thing was, the republics within Yugoslavia, and more importantly, the different ethnicities were tired of living with each other. They wanted self determination, self rule. So during the power struggle, the republics started declaring their independence, which sparked a conflict/ civil war/ big mess. Thats the jist of it.

What I find interesting: "Yugoslavia is a mini version of the Soviet Union, once held together by Marx and machine-guns, now splintering apart as different provinces want to quit and tribe turns on tribe. Multiply the population by 12 and the land area by 100, throw in 30,000 nuclear warheads and an equally tangled history: welcome to the Soviet Union, and stand by for big trouble."

I just think it is very interesting that this August 31, 1991 article puts it in terms of something else that was happening at exactly the same time. Plus, whenever I hear Yugoslavia or any other Balkan State, it sparks my interest (I left part of my heart there when I left in the summer of 2006).

This is not about Yugoslavia, but is from the same article, and I think is equally interesting, and worth sharing. Everyone knows (or now you will) that Communism is based off of the ideas of Karl Marx and the Proletarian revolution. Obviously its not exactly like Marx had envisioned it, but it is what it is. What I find interesting about the following quote is that it is talking about the ending of Communism in Russia/Soviet Union, and its democratization, but with Marx words.

"The Soviet Union was a disastrous muddle; it cannot be sorted out neatly, to suit western sensibilities; 'the point,' as Karl Marx once said about the world, 'is to change it,' and the change is begun."

I suppose its fitting to begin and end something with its original ideas, so I guess this is a fitting quote to show the end of the Soviet Union and Communism on a grand scale, when it all started from that same man. To you, Karl Marx, I raise my vodka shot glass, and toast your great ideas that ended so badly!


Photo: Karl Marx "Proletarians of All States, Unite!"

No comments:

Post a Comment